|Apple Pie Coco-Roons, an absolutely scrumptious raw inclusion in the Healthy Surprise sample box I received.|
I admit it, I've been procrastinating on putting up a few reviews. Vegan MoFo is the perfect time to catch up. You know me, I tell it like it is. I love some stuff, but other stuff – meh! Read on...
Healthy Surprise is a snack subscription service. You can sign up to receive a box of vegan, hand-picked whole-food snacks each month, and options range from $33, to feed 1-3 people, to $99, to feed 3-9 people. It's a fun idea – the plant-based, culinary version of Birchbox.
Some of the stuff was orgasmically good, and to be frank, just a few of the "healthier" options were just so awful that I had to spit them out. But still, I'd say the good-to-bad ratio was about 85%/15%.
Here's what was in my box and what I thought:
- 2 flavors of Gone Nuts flavored nuts, Teriyaki and Garlic – I enjoyed these. They're the kind of fancy. flavored nut you'd want to put out in a dish at a party. Would I buy them? Nope.
- Giddy Up and Go Granola – Tasty! Crunchy! Healthy!
- Apple Pie Coco-Roons – Raw macaroons, Apple Pie Flavor. These were my favorite treat in the bunch and I must confess, after tasting them, I bought them at Whole Foods once as a splurge.
- Bobo's Oat Bars in Chocolate Almond and Maple Pecan. Tasty energy bars. I preferred the Maple.
- Cayenne Cocoa Dough Ball – Orgasmically rich and good.
- Gluten-Free Sesame Bumble Bar – Liked these a lot. Light snacks. Perfect for lunchboxes.
- Kale Chips – These were delicious – one of the few savory options, and I practically inhaled them.
- Spirulina Energy Bars – Maybe I am not evolved or sophisticated enough, but I spit these out. I never spit things out. Well, I guess I can't say "never" anymore.
- Cashew-Cocoa Biscotti – Both of these were gone in an hour. Fabulous.
- Banana-Bread Flax Bar – I didn't spit it out, but I only ate one bite. It was like cardboard.
- Live Granola Bar – Ditto.
- Stretch Island Fruit Co, Fruit Strips – Good. Your average fruit jerky.
- Bare Fruit Cherries – Good dried cherries for salads and snacking.
My verdict? Well, I am a bit of a control freak and don't like surprises. So I probably would not subscribe. But if you like surprises, raw-vegan chow, and like to be among the first to try cool, trendy foods, this box is for you!
Vega Shake and Go Smoothies
|Vega Energizing Smoothies|
The nice folks at Vega sent me a full spectrum of energizing smoothies to try. I was especially interested in sampling these because, at the time, I was running 50 miles a week, and when you participate in endurance spots at this level of intensity, you practically need a constant drip-infusion of protein. I usually refuel with a smoothie made with protein powder. Each Vega packet contains about 10 grams of protein. Add soy milk or a nut butter, and you are adding even more protein. Besides a protein shot, they aso contain flax seed, a green blend, and a digestive blend.
The directions say to add to water, juice or a non-dairy beverage, or add to your own smoothie. I was intrigued by the water option, so I tried it with the chocolate, and once again, I spit it out [Am I becoming a fussy eater?].
But the good news is that these are pretty tasty when you mix them with soy milk, flax milk or just add them to a smoothie for a protein boost. Tropical Tango was my favorite flavor – odd for me, since I usually go for berry and vanilla. Would I buy these? Yes, definitely during race-training season.
Vegetarian Plus Entrees
|Vegetarian Plus entrees – cheaper and tastier than fast food|
When I received these entrees from Vegetarian Plus, it was like a godsend. I was working 40 hours per week at a freelance advertising gig, running 50 miles per week, and working on my pie cookbook. I had zero time to cook. And eating salads for dinner every night got old real fast.
They actually sent me 2 Citrus Spareribs and one Pepper Steak, but as you can see, I was so tired at the time, I took a photo of 2 Spareribs entrees. Both flavors were insanely good and satisfying. I ate them as is, but they would be nice over rice or with a side. Each box is said to serve 4, but little ol' me, I ate the entire box for dinner. These were, quite simply, delicious. Such a treat after putting in a full day.
What would Vegan MoFo be without a contest [or two]? If you'd like to try the Vega shakes, I am giving away packet of each flavor, 5 total, plus a signed copy of my last cookbook, Celebrate VeganJust leave a clever comment, and make sure there's a way I can reach you [email or blog]. To double your winning chances, follow me on Twitter: theurbanvegan. Sorry kids, but contest is only open to US and Canadian readers. I'll announce the randomly chosen winner early next week.
Good luck and happy MoFo-ing!
Signing off to watch the VP candidates go at it. Go Joe!