Wednesday, October 10, 2012

vegan mofo :: gluten-free poppyseed snack cake

Orange-scented, polka-dotted, gluten-free and vegan: what's not to like?
What planet have I been living on? Gluten-free baking has been all the rage for...oh...say the past 5 years. But I am still new to gluten-free baking, because I am one of the lucky few who does not seem to be wheat-sensitive. Still, I recognize that in the West, we consume far too much franken-wheat and need to explore alternatives to the crazy mutant variety that comprises the bulk of the SAD Diet (Standard American Diet). I am all about going against the grain.



Did poppyseeds ever really go out of style?
Being a Polish girl, however, I am not new to poppyseed baking. So for today's Back to Basics post, I thought I'd combine my experience with my inexperience – the inspiration for this easy snack cake recipe.


See the orange zest?  [And my vegan Butter London British Racing Green nail polish?]

This moist, orange-scented poppyseed snack cake goes perfectly with a cup of Earl Grey tea for breakfast. Or slightly warmed, topped with a scoop of vanilla coconut ice cream for dessert. The cake is dense, so it can stand up to added compotes and your favorite plant-based whipped toppings. However you serve it, I suggest not mentioning the "gluten-free" thing ... What happens on UrbanVegan.net stays on UrbanVegan.net

Gluten-Free Poppyseed Snack Cake

Revised Oct. 11, 2012
  • 1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour [I used sorghum flour]
  • 1/4 cup poppy seeds
  • 3/4 cup non-dairy milk [I used almond milk]
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 T baking powder
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/3 cup canola oil
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 T cornstarch
  • *1 tsp xanthan gum
  • 3 T orange juice [From about 1 small orange]
  • Zest of 1 orange [About 1 tsp]

Makes 1 9 x 9-inch cake, about 12 servings
* Xanthan gum may not be a basic for everyone. But if you have wheat issues, trust me, it's a basic.
 Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9 x 9-inch baking pan.

In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients. Combine wet ingredients in a medium bowl, then stir into dry. Mix until just combined. Don't overmix.

Spread into pan and bake for5 30-40 minutes or until top is just golden, Cool for 10 minutes before cutting.



Follow Me on Pinterest


10 comments:

foodfeud said...

Luckily I'm not wheat-sensitive either but I'd like to try a couple gluten free recipes myself. I can totally taste these little breakfast cakes! I love poppyseeds too and the crunch they give in baked goods. Earl Grey tea and citrus-flavored goodies have never steered me wrong. Does xanthan gum come in small packages?

Nicole said...

This looks delicious! I love the idea of orange instead of the typical lemon flavour. Did you use all sorghum flour or a mix of ther GF flours?
P.S. I don't think poppy seeds will ever go out of style.

KitteeBee said...

Looks so delicious, and I love your nails.
xo
kittee

vegan.in.brighton said...

That looks great, I adore poppy seeds and I love that you let us know what nail polish you're wearing!

urban vegan said...

Nicole, I used all sorghum (Bob's Red Mill). I really like the sweet quality of this flour

Jes said...

Snack cakes are always so dangerous for me--hard to just snack on one, especially with poppy seed goodness like these!

Andrea said...

Your cake looks perfect, and I love that you used all sorghum flour and so little starch. I though GF necessitated a mix of flours and lots of starch in order to work. Maybe not!

Nikki said...

I haven't had a poppyseed baked good since going gluten free. Looks perfect!

Celine said...

I bought something like 2 pounds of poppy seeds not so long ago, and I'm glad I'll be able to use your beautiful recipe to get rid of some of them! (Why do I always buy so much of things I rarely use?)

Amanda said...

Oh Dynise, these look spectacular. Pinning them!