|Orange-scented, polka-dotted, gluten-free and vegan: what's not to like?|
|Did poppyseeds ever really go out of style?|
|See the orange zest? [And my vegan Butter London British Racing Green nail polish?]|
Gluten-Free Poppyseed Snack Cake
Revised Oct. 11, 2012
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour [I used sorghum flour]
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 3/4 cup non-dairy milk [I used almond milk]
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 T baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 T cornstarch
- *1 tsp xanthan gum
- 3 T orange juice [From about 1 small orange]
- Zest of 1 orange [About 1 tsp]
Makes 1 9 x 9-inch cake, about 12 servings
* Xanthan gum may not be a basic for everyone. But if you have wheat issues, trust me, it's a basic.Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9 x 9-inch baking pan.
In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients. Combine wet ingredients in a medium bowl, then stir into dry. Mix until just combined. Don't overmix.
Spread into pan and bake for5 30-40 minutes or until top is just golden, Cool for 10 minutes before cutting.