|Gluten-free tropical yumminess, perfect with tea|
|Chewy-gooey-gluten-free. Betcha' can't eat just one [I couldn't!]|
gluten-free coconut lime bars [vegan]
- ½ cup gluten-free all-purpose flour plus 3 T, plus 3 more T for topping [I used Bob's Red Mill ]
- 1/8 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 cup sugar, divided into 1/3 and 2/3 cup
- 1/4 tsp salt
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup nuts, ground to a flour in food processor [I prefer pecans, macadamias or almonds]
- 2 tsp lime zest [From about 2 limes, preferably organic]
- 3½ to 4 T lime juice, from about 2 limes
- 1 T non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- 1 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
Makes 16 bars
In a medium bowl, cut together ½ + 3 T cup gluten-free flour, xanthan gum, 1/3 cup sugar, salt and coconut oil until crumbly. Stir in nuts, then press into prepared pan. Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until golden. Remove and let cool slightly.
In a medium bowl, using a fork, stir together 2/3 cup sugar. Lime zest and juice, milk, 3 T gluten-free flour, and extract until smooth. Mix in coconut with spoon.
Spread over baked crust and bake for 20-27 minutes or until set and just starting to turn golden. Let cool on a wire rack for one hour, then chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes before cutting into bars.
Variation: Use another citrus fruit (eg, lemon, oranges, blood oranges) instead of the lime zest and juice.