Saturday, November 16, 2013

bean-based sloppy joes


Here's the Bean-Based Sloppy Joe recipe I created inspired by the $25 Vegan Dollar Store challenge. I based this loosely on the Sloppy Joe recipe which appeared in my first cookbook, The Urban Vegan. I hope you'll try it and adjust the proportions and ingredients to make it your own. Remember, you can use any kind of bean you like. You can also use fresh peppers, more onions or less, ketchup or barbecue sauce, etc. – hence all my substitution notes. The point is self-reliance – and a haughty step away from food-snobbism and grocery price inflation. Let's start a revolution in our kitchens.

I happened to have some burger rolls in the freezer so that's how I enjoyed these Sloppy Joes [and they are sloppy!]. But please dig deeper and be creative. You can also top it over rice, quinoa or any grain. Or you can add some broth, puree it and make it into a soup. It's also good on its own. Enjoy!

This is what a $1 bag of cooked pinto beans looks like!

Bean-Based Sloppy Joes


  • 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes *optional
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 T oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 3-4 cups cooked pinto beans [substitute any cooked bean you like]
  • 3 cups frozen pepper-onion mix [substitute 2 large chopped peppers and use a large onion instead of a medium; sauté fresh peppers in the first step]
  • 1 can V8 juice [substitute 12 oz tomato sauce]
  • 1 T red wine vinegar [substitute any vinegar you have on hand]
  • 2 T brown or white sugar [or maple syrup or agave nectar]
  • 2 T barbecue sauce [substitute ketchup]
  • Salt and pepper, to taste

Serves 6

Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium. Add the red pepper flakes, garlic, and onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.

Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Stir well, cover and cook for 20-30 minutes. Adjust seasonings before serving.

Eenie meenie pinto beanie
Follow Me on Pinterest

1 comment:

Unknown said...

[ Laughs ] Although that is supposed to serve 6 people, I think that I can gobble all that down by myself.

Thanks for showing me what I can do with beans.