Friday, November 09, 2012

topsy-turvy cooking and coffee cake waffle recipe


Coffee Cake takes on an entirely different form. Slightly more virtuous and a lot quicker and easier.
Humans are creatures of habit. When we find flavor combinations that work, we tend to limit them to specific recipes. But turning pies into drinks, and cocktails into desserts is my warped idea of fun, kitchen nerd that I am. Ditto, transforming traditionally savory dishes, like pizza and casseroles, into desserts, and typically sweet dishes, like crumbles and muffins, into mains. Some might call these topsy-turvy recipes "deconstructed," but I prefer to think of them as reconstructed.

Drizzle with agave nectar or maple syrup and sprinkle with your favorite nuts
I love routines as much as anyone, but not in the kitchen. Pushing recipes' traditional boundaries keeps my culinary life interesting – and gives me something fun to add to my Pinterest boards! This is not my idea or a new idea by any measure. Cooks have been flip-flopping recipes longer than politicians have been flip-flopping platforms. Here are a few recent plant-based cases in point:
  • Pasta becomes dessert, as in chocolate pasta  [Thank you, Char] 
  • Pizza becomes dessert [Thank you, Chocolate-Covered Katie]
  • Pumpkin Pie becomes a smoothie
  • Breakfast muffins become Lunch Muffins [Recipe is in The Urban Vegan as well as an alcoholic breakfast smoothie recipe – why wait to start imbibing?]
  • Quinoa becomes a breakfast porridge 
  • Strawberry Daquiri becomes sorbet

Coffee Cake Waffles

After my race last Sunday, F-stop and I wanted to go out to brunch to celebrate. But it seemed like the entire world was up early because of Daylight Savings Time, and there were long lines everywhere. I was famished and wanted, no – needed! – something rewarding and carby yet virtuous. But I didn't have the patience to wait in line. So it was brunch at home, and these semi-healthy, semi-decadent Coffee Cake Waffles were born.

Coffee Cake Waffles


  • 1 cup whole-grain flour of your choice
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 2 heaping T soy flour 
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk, or any full-fat, non-dairy milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • About 2-4 T water
  • About 1/4 cup of your favorite chopped nuts, for garnish and flavor [I used almonds]

Makes about 6 large waffles; size depends on your waffle maker

Ladies and gentlemen, start your waffle irons!

Meanwhile in a large bowl, mix dry ingredients. Mix wet ingredients [start with 2 T of water] in a medium bowl and whisk into dry until very smooth. If batter seems too thick, thin out with more water, 1 T at a time.

Spray your iron with cooking spray and pour in batter and cook according to manufacturer's directions, until golden brown. Remove, top with agave nectar or maple syrup, and sprinkle with nuts.


Follow Me on Pinterest

8 comments:

Amey said...

holy MOLY Dynise... these sound and look AMAZING. I've been trying (and succeeding!) to lose some weight recently... which definitely means fewer carbolicious delights. But at least once a week I let myself have a really special treat, so there is sense of suffering. These babies have made the treats list, for sure! I can't wait to try them. :)

Andrea said...

I have GOT to get a waffle iron. I'm tired of indulging in pancakes when what I really want are waffles! These sound great.

Char @ www.charskitchen.ca said...

Thank you so much for the link back! That is definitely one of my favourite recipes :D You have a beautiful blog!

Allysia said...

I also adore the concept of topsy-turvy! Pumpkin pie smoothies are probably my favorite on the list, so damn good. Those waffles look delish!

KitteeBee said...

I have been craving waffles like mad lately. I need an iron and then I plan to xgfxercise every recipe within site.

xo
kittee

Joey said...

That picture alone is making me drool - I shouldn't have visited your blog when I was hungry!

Celine Steen said...

What a brilliant idea! I don't use my waffle maker enough because it's a pain to clean up, but these ones are definitely worth the trouble.

Unknown said...

Dear webmaster

I would like to say "AWESOME"
The story very impression for me.

-----------------------------------------
Thank you for share ,Cheer!
nescafe dolce gusto pdf