Friday, January 20, 2012

pumpkin-pie smoothie

Pumpkin Pie Smoothie: Dessert in a glass

Smoothie Basics
The weather's growing colder, and I know it's more seasonally appropriate to write about warming libations like tea, coffee and cocoa. But the fact is, regardless of the temperature, when my tummy starts to rumble– usually around 10 a.m.– I crave a nice, tall smoothie. Besides their sweet, creamy flavor, I also love the fact that you can toss in all kinds of healthful goodies into smoothies to further boost their nutritional power– like ground flax seedsgreen powder, and/or probiotic powder. I also usually add 1/2 scoop of vanilla vegan protein powder to my smoothies; it makes them creamier [read: more decadent!] and provides me with an extra shot of protein. You can also supplement most fruit-based smoothies with about 1 cup of fresh greens, like spinach or lettuce. Believe it or not, you cannot taste them, since the bolder fruit flavors overpower the greens' subtle sweetness [Really. Truly!].

When you think of smoothies, the usual suspects come to mind: strawberry, banana-peanut butter, chocolate, blueberry, etc. Yesterday, I spied 1/2 cup of leftover pumpkin puree in my 'fridge and decided to do a deconstructed pumpkin pie, smoothie, sans crust. [Want the crust effect? Toss in a few vegan graham crackers.] Besides being seasonal, this smoothie is seriously addictive and now holds a permanent spot in my daily smoothie rotation.

Pumpkin-Pie Smoothie
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened pumpkin puree
  • 1/2 frozen ripe banana, chopped
  • 6 oz non-dairy milk [I used a small carton of So Delicious Vanilla Coconut Milk. You can also use plain or vanilla non-dairy yogurt]
  • Sprinkle of ground flax seeds [Optional, but great way to add omega 3s]
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon 
  • Healthy pinch of nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 scoop of your favorite vegan vanilla protein powder [to add creaminess and protein]
  • Your favorite sweetener [eg, stevia, sugar, maple syrup, agave nectar] to taste
  • Optional additions: Ground flax seeds, green powder, probiotic powder, etc
Serves 1

Whiz everything in a blender until smooth.


14 comments:

Richa said...

yumm.. my kind of smoothie.. too cold here right now for smoothies.. but i am going to warm mine and have it!

angielee said...

I want to pin this on Pinterest! Is your blog not integrated with Pinterest yet? :-o

urban vegan said...

@angielee--Not yet, but after your comment, I am working on it.

maryeb said...

I just tried this with some pumpkin I had left from the holidays. It was delicious. Thanks.

KitteeBee said...

It works on pinterest for me! There's nothing to integrate dynise...it just picks up photos.

barjobo said...

sounds delish! it pins and takes the urler, too.

urban vegan said...

@Richa: What a great idea!
@Maryeb: So glad you liked it :)

Lauren said...

yum, i love pumpkin pie flavored anything (except i dont like the actual pie!..i know, weird..) so this smoothie sounds great!
thanks!

Southern Purple Veggie said...

I love pumpkin pie flavor things, I have pin this on Pinterest so that I can make it soon and share it

Unknown said...

Hi,Ive just started a blod about vegan lifestyle, please take a look.
http://thenewestkidontheblog.blogspot.com

Carrie™ said...

I never use an entire can of pumpkin in a recipe, so this sounds like a perfect way to use up the rest. Dynise, you're heaven sent.

Ali @ whatalididnext said...

This looks gorgeous! I would never have thought of making a pumpkin pie smoothie.
It is summer over here in New Zealand, so the idea of an ice cold smoothie is appealing.

Kate said...

I had half a can of butternut squash in the fridge to use up and it worked great in this. And you're right, a handful of spinach just disappears in the flavors.

Thank you for this. I don't usually like smoothies but this was really good.

echowoman said...

This was awesome! My kids loved it, I loved it and my husband loved it - it will definitely be a standard in our house!