Wednesday, October 19, 2011

vegan mofo :: gluten-free raspberry-cornmeal muffins

No gluten in these feather-light breakfast muffins
I'm very lucky to not have a gluten intolerance or celiac disease. But I still think the standard American diet– even the standard vegan American diet – contains too much wheat, so I try to rotate my grains and flours. These easy corn muffins are polka-dotted with cheerful, ruby-red raspberries, A hit of powdered ginger infuses them with a slightly spicy heat, which is a nice contrast against the sweetness of the cornmeal and sugar. You can also use blueberries, but I think raspberries make for a prettier and less conventional muffin.

Gluten-free Raspberry-Corn Muffins
  • 1  cup almond milk [Or any non-dairy milk]
  • 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1 cup gluten-free flour [I used sweet white sorghum flour]
  • 3/4 cup cornmeal
  • 1 1/2 T gluten-free baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 T ginger
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup canola oil
  • 3/4 cup raspberries [If using frozen, do not thaw]
Makes 12 muffins
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line 2 6-muffin tins with papers, or spray with cooking spray.
  2. In a medium bowl, add vinegar to milk. Set aside and allow to curdle.
  3. Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.
  4. Add oil to milk and vinegar and stir. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Gently stir in the rasberries, then divide batter between the muffin tins.
  5. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick or cake tester comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before eating to avoid "crumblage."


11 comments:

Tina. said...

This sounds yummy! Do I need to adjust anything if I use regular (not gluten free flour)? I'm also thinking blueberries or strawberries, since I have a whole bag of each in the freezer.

urban vegan said...

Tina, should work out fine, but I'm not sure since I've only made this GF.

KitteeBee said...

oh! i have some frozen blackerries with these muffins written all over them! thanks!
xo
kittee

vegan.in.brighton said...

Those look great, I wish I had some raspberries in the house & I've bookmarked your recipe for next time I do!

Tea and Sympatico said...

Thanks for posting this. One of my friends has just been diagnosed as coeliac and is holding a fundraising day for Coeliac UK and has asked me to make some baked goods, these will be great!

Tina. said...

Just made some with regular flour (I have nothing against gluten-free, it's just that I only have regular flour at home), and they turned out great!

Dan said...

My wife and I are trying your Thanksgiving menu today and can't wait until dinner time. We just started our vegan "lifestyle" 4 1/2 weeks ago and have found your blog to be a wonderful source of good eats and inspiration.

Anonymous said...

I greased the tins instead of using paper liners. All but one crumbled as I removed them. The only change I'd made was to use milk instead of almond milk?

Anonymous said...

I made these and they all crumbled to bits as well. We couldn't really eat them they were so crumbly. I did use the almond milk and paper liners, and believe I followed the recipe exactly. Maybe they need some xanthan gum or eggs/flax/chia to help them hold together?

Sabrina Gagnon said...

Is it normal that they were so gritty? I actually felt like I had bits of sand with every bite... The taste was great, but the grittiness, not so much... My kids don't like them because of that... As I'm new to cornmeal/cornflour, I have a question: is it my cornmeal that wasn't good? I just don't get it... :(

Liane said...

Wow, these are great! We just made them with freshly picked raspberries from the garden and they were soo good. Thanks so much for this recipe :)