|You can't judge a soup by its color.|
Carrot-Potato Soup [Base recipe]
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup non-dairy milk [eg, soy, rice, coconut, hemp, almond]
- 7 cups vegetable broth [Better Than Boullion is best]
- About 3 medium potatoes, quartered [Peeled and quartered if not organic]
- About 5 medium carrots, sliced
Serves about 6
Heat oil over medium in a stockpot. Saute onion and garlic until translucent, about 5 minutes.
Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer. Cook until carrots and potatoes are soft, about 30-40 minutes, adding more stock in 1/2 cup increments, if needed.
Puree carefully using a blender or an immersion blender. Enjoy as is, or customize, per ideas below.
- Curry: When sauteeing the onions and garlic in oil, add up to 1 T of your favorite curry paste [for a Thai version] or curry powder [for a Caribbean version]. Use coconut milk.
- Provençal: Add 1 T herbes de Provençe. Top with chopped fresh basil or parsley.
- Protein-packer: After pureeing, add two cups of your favorite cooked bean or legume. Kidney beans and black beans provide an interesting color contrast.
- Smoky: Add up to 1T smoked paprika [or more, to taste]
- Fat-Free and Easy: Skip the oil and the saute step. Just toss the remaining ingredients into a pot and carry on with the recipe as written.
- Southwestern Chowder: Add 1 T chili powder. After pureeing, add 1 can [drained and rinsed] of black beans and 1 cup sweet corn. Top with chopped fresh cilantro.
- "Je Ne Sais Quoi:" For added sophistication and complexity, toss in 1-2 bulbs of fennel, chopped.
- Warming: Add 1 T minced fresh ginger to the onion-garlic saute.
- Sunny: Replace the cup of non-dairy milk with 1 cup of orange juice, fresh-squeezed, if possible. Add zest of one organic orange. Top with chopped fresh cilantro.
- Dijon: After sauteeing onion and garlic, whisk in 1 T Dijon mustard.
- Lean and Green: This version makes a much lighter soup. Skip the non-dairy milk. Use 8 cups broth and after pureeing [unless you don't mind a mud-colored soup], add 2 cups of roughly chopped spinach.
- Hearty Andalusian: Add 1 T saffron and 1 tsp pimenton [Spanish paprika]. Use almond milk. After pureeing, add 2 cups cooked chickpeas and 1 cup toasted slivered almonds.
- Mexican: Add 1 T cumin, 1 tsp chili powder, 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1 T oregano. Top with chopped fresh cilantro.
- Indian: Add 1 T minced ginger and up to 1 T garam masala. Top with chopped fresh cilantro.
- Pistou: Just before serving, top each bowl of soup with 1 T pesto.
- Latin-Style: Add 1 large green [unripe] plaintain, sliced, and up to 1 cup sofrito
- Extra-earthy: Add 2 cups mixed chopped mushrooms.
- Sweet and Warming: Add 2-3 T maple syrup and 1 tsp cinnamon.
- Rosemary's Baby: Incredibly harmonious flavor pairing! Skip the bay leaf and add the leaves from 3-4 fresh rosemary stems.
- Asian Fusion: Substitute miso broth for veggie broth. Just before serving, top with a drizzle of toasted sesame oil and some mung bean sprouts.