Monday, August 08, 2011

please vote for urban vegan
(and try my pineapple-ginger sorbet recipe)

Please vote for me. I'll kiss your baby, will balance the budget and will get the US government's bond rating upgraded.
Holy guacamole! I've been nominated for "Favorite Cookbook Author" in the 2011 Veggie Awards. I'm honored to be on the same list with vegan cookbook goddesses Terry Hope Romero and Isa Chandra Moskowitz, as well as many other visionary cooks. The ballot covers countless vegan categories, including "Favorite Vegan Restaurant" and "Favorite Vegan Cupcakes."

All voters are eligible to win vote-worthy prizes including a Caribbean Vegan Cruise, a Vegan Treats Dessert Party [yes, please!], and a year's supply of Coconut Bliss Ice Cream. Make your opinions known by August 31. Please vote. 

_____

Homemade sorbet, just in time for the dog days of summer
Looking for a quick way to cool off? Try my recipe for Easy Pineapple-Ginger Sorbet, which appeared last week on the ever-fabulous GirlyGirl Army blog.

This sorbet screams exotic. The ginger's heat does a flirty little mambo with the pineapple's sweetness. Despite its flavor wallop, it's a snap to throw together. Perfect for those steamy summer nights when you want to cleanse your palette with something light.

Ingredients
  • 3 cups chopped fresh pineapple
  • ½ tsp powdered ginger
  • ½ to ¾ cup sugar
  • Pinch salt
  • Pinch chili pepper
Serves 6-8

Process everything in the food processor until absolutely smooth, starting with ½ cup of sugar. Taste and add more sugar, in 2 T increments, if needed. (The amount you use will depend on your personal preference and the sweetness of the pineapple). Freeze in an ice- cream maker according to manufacturer’s directions. Don’t have an ice-cream maker? Make frozen pops. Half the recipe, pour into popsicle molds and freeze until hard.

4 comments:

Hannah said...

What a refreshing treat! I really like the addition of some chili pepper- I can already imagine how that sweet/acidic/spicy combination would taste.

Congrats on the nomination, you deserve to be there too! :)

Suburban Snow White said...

Congratulations! I've seen your cookbooks in every store lately!

greeting cards said...

Well, hey there. Congratulations on your nomination. I think that is a good sorbet! Okay, I got your recipe and I am going to give it a shot later!

Anonymous said...

I bet this would make great popsicles...for us lazy folks :)