Monday, May 17, 2010

veggie pride parade: nyc

Penelo P Pod and Chris P Carrot

On Sunday, I walked in the Veggie Pride Parade in New York. Here's how the day unfolded...



First things first--and that means fueling up for the walk. VKO, Leinana and I had breakfast at S'Nice in the West Village. I ordered a larger-than-life bagel with tofu cream cheese and tomato [and yes, I ate the whole thing].


VKO opted for the tofu scramble wrap...


And Leinana feasted on the sesame "chicken" sandwich [VKO is simultaneously shooting the sandwich with her iPhone camera on the right. Get a bunch of food bloggers together and this is what we do!]



The crowd assembled. Our posse marched for Farm Sanctuary. From left to right, me, Andrea of Brazil Nut, VKO, Leinana, Robbie who is holding Stella, zee French Bulldog, and Dani. Stella was abandoned [Who could leave that smooshie face?!] and Dani and Robbie adopted her.


And we're off. Marchers included a guy who rocked his hula-hoop the entire length of the parade, a girl with a killer bod who wore a bikini made of cabbage leaves, and a whole slew of folks dressed as fruits and veggies.

The only discernable hater was one older man who kept screaming at people in the street to "stop eating animals." Okay, I agree with him. But when was the last time you did something because you were yelled at or coerced, as opposed to deciding of your own free will? I'm sure his heart was in the right place, but his mouth certainly was not. People hear that venomous tone and that's their main takeway: that all vegans are angry and irrational.



Back to positive people. I finally got to meet Melisser, of the Urban Housewife. Isn't she adorable? She is writing a book called The Vegan Girls' Guide to Life, sure to be a smash hit.


9 comments:

Leinana Two Moons said...

Great post and pics! The parade was so much fun. Will be even bigger and better next year!

Rachel Kay- Platoni said...

I was there too! Marching with Woodstock Farm Sanctuary. It was such a GREAT Parade...but I remember the guy you are talking about, he marched next to us at the end of the parade and I felt the same way you did. My husband and I were saying that he was a bit - overwhelming, saying it to kids and all. Ah well, it was a wonderful day anyway!!

Andréa said...

It was a great day, indeed!

Dani said...

Great post! Love the pic of Ms. Stella, looking sexy. When you're coming back to NYC, we should all have a meet-up!

Wholesome Chow said...

Oh wow! Looks like so much fun! I wish there was something similar to that in my area in California! Looks like I'll have to try and make it to the next one! Thanks for sharing all your fabulous pics!

Much love,

Chef Veronica
www.WholesomeChow.com

Decadent Vegan Cake Baking Mixes available online! All Natural, Egg Free, Dairy Free, Organic Ingredients and lots of LOVE.

Theresa said...

This looks like great fun! And I'm good. Getting married in two weeks. How are you??

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Who's that dork cramming food in her mouth?! hahaha.
It was a pleasure to finally meet you!

Virginie said...

It seems there were lots of people, that's great. Do you know how many were you?

urban vegan said...

Not sure, Virginie, but LOTS, as you can see;

http://www.veggieprideparade.org/