Saturday, March 27, 2010

pimp your baked potato


Baked Potato with Steamed Broccoli and Vegan Cheese Sauce


Baked potatoes are the ultimate fast food: nutritious, delicious, and expeditious [assuming you are using a microwave]. I included a Baked Potato Bar "recipe" in my cookbook, but to be honest, I was hesitant to print it, wondering if I was simply stating the obvious. Imagine my surprise when readers thanked me for the reminder!

Not only can the humble baked potato can save you from succumbing to the take-out menu; everyone also seems to love baked taters' carby comfort factor– even kidlets. The potato above is topped with steamed broccoli and the Cheese Sauce from Joann Stepaniak's The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook: Delicious Dairy-Free Cheeses and Classic "Uncheese" Dishes.

Here are 10 baked potato topping ideas to get you started. Your imagination is the only limit. Please add your own favorites as comments.
  1. Sliced avocadoes, black beans, cumin, coriander and salsa [Tater Mexicana]
  2. Vegan tapenade and nutritional yeast [aka, "nooch"]
  3. Steamed cauliflower, cumin and garam masala [Deconstructed aloo gobhi]
  4. Roasted red peppers, garlic and vegan cheese
  5. Spinach sauteed in garlic and olive oil, nooch and plenty of fresh-ground black pepper
  6. Leftovers! Think, crumbled-up veggie burgers, day-old stews, and casseroles that need pimping
  7. Seitan, vegan gravy, fresh ground pepper, and peas [Comfort food]
  8. Crumbled, steamed tempeh or Fakin' Bacon, olives, and olive oil
  9. Chili [including Chocolate Chipotle Chili from my cookbook]
  10. Asparagus with vegan Hollandaise Sauce


16 comments:

Hilary said...

That cheese sauce looks divine!

Millie said...

Excellent!

http://nuestracena-vegancuisine.blogspot.com

Ambrosia said...

Looks so dainty! How much I wish we could get vegan cheese and cheese sauce in India! Alas I miss the concept of "cheese" since I became vegan although I am never tempted by dairy cheese any more!

vko said...

Love me some pimped out baked potato- def doing that when I come back...am off to china next week with SKO & grandma!
xox

Jes said...

Mmm, I'm digging that tater Mexicana combo!

T said...

Oooh I love baked potatoes! Perfect cheap and healthy dinner.

Tom Scholfield said...

OMG I am so hungry right now and that picture is making my mouth water.

urban vegan said...

Ambrosia: I made that vegan cheese sauce; I didnm't buy it. You make it with nutritional yeast--do you have that in India?

Unknown said...

also: vegan tzatziki. AMAZING on potatoes!!!!

Debra said...

yum!
Debra @ Vegan Family Style

thezenofmaking said...

Broccoli and vegan cheese on a baked potato: it just doesn't get much better than that!

Anonymous said...

acomplia tablet [url=http://www1.chaffey.edu/news2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=146&Itemid=63]acomplia nebenwirkung [/url] acomplia nebenwirkung
http://www1.chaffey.edu/news2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=146&Itemid=63

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

How funny, I JUST posted about a place in Edinburgh that's a baked potato shop with all veg toppings.

veggiefoodforfive.wordpress.com said...

Our family loves toamto sauce on our baked potatoes. Something like spaghetti sauce, so it has lots of other veggies in it.

VeganPimp said...

Hey Urban Vegan, I like how you Pimp!! Sprucing up an old classic. I definitely need to check out your book. I wish that photo could come to life on a plate in front of me. YUM!! Thanks for sharing such great ideas!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! I love it and I love the presentation. Thanks for posting this. Happy Holiday, Jenna