Sunday, November 22, 2009

adopt-a-turkey time

Gideon

Commercially raised turkeys suffer unspeakable cruelty. After viewing an investigative videotape showing turkey abuse at a factory farm in West Virginia, New York Times journalist Donald G. McNeil Jr. wrote, "The scenes show stomach-turning brutality." Fortunately, the abusers were charged with felonies and 2 of 3 were recently convicted in a landmark case. (The 3rd case is still pending.)

On a much happier note...
The good folks at Farm Sanctuary rescue turkeys, when possible, and place them in loving homes. Farm Sanctuary educates the public about the horrors of factory farming --and promotes the joys of compassionate living (and cooking).

Every year, instead of eating a turkey, I symbolically adopt one. Meet Gideon. (Handsome boy, isn't he?) Adopt a turkey >>.

10 comments:

bazu said...

Gideon is a beauty! THanksgiving wouldn't be the same without adopting a turkey!

Vegan Good Life said...

My Farm Sanctuary turkey certificate arrived too!

"Let there be music, let there be light, but please don't make a turkey your holiday delight!" says Rhonda.

They have tasty holiday recipes on the site as well.

http://www.adoptaturkey.org/aat/recipes/

Thank you for all the work you do to educate people about how delicious vegan food is.

Have a happy and humane Thanksgiving!

Kiersten said...

I adopted Hawthorn this year :)

melissa bastian. said...

Jonathan and I each adopted a turkey this year. It will certainly become an annual event in our household. :D

Cindy said...

Yay! I adopted Gideon too! My daughter loves looking at his picture!

Colleen/veggie85 said...

He's so cute. That's such a good idea!

Ian said...

I adopted Rhonda last week.

Houston employment attorney said...

This is such a great idea. Thanks for sharing and getting the word out.

The Compassionate Hedonist said...

thanks so much for this idea.

Bikini By 30 said...

I adopted a Turkey for the first time this year. I put the card up in my kitchen and it made me so happy to look at while I was cooking my animal free dinner!