Monday, June 22, 2009

make your own bath scrub

Homemade Salt and Brown Sugar Scrub

Scrub-a-dub-dub.  During summer when you bare more skin than usual, exfoliation is a must. I love pampering myself in the bath as much as any girl. But I hate forking out big bucks for those high-end salt and sugar scrubs.

I've seen scrubs sell for as little as $6 in drugstores and for as much as $40 in department stores. I make my own bath scrub  for ... get this ... about $1. It smells just as good if not better than the overpriced, mass-produced versions, and it works just as well. In addition, it contains no animal ingredients, no nasty chemicals and no artifical colorings. Plus, it's tested on humans – namely on me – and not on animals.

My upcoming cookbook includes a goof-proof bath scrub "recipe" with exact amounts, but to tide you over, here are some pointers for improvisation.  Try making your own and let me know how you like it.

  1. First, choose your scrub base. You can use table salt, coarse salt, white sugar, brown sugar, coarse sugar, finely ground almonds or other nuts, or any combination of the above. If your skin is very dry, skip the salt, and if your skin is oily, use 100% salt. [Be forewarned: if you have any cuts, the salt will burn!] Unless you're made of money, I strongly suggest that you repress your urge to use Pink Himalayan or Black Hawaiian finishing salts in your scrub. Fill a plastic container about 3/4 to the top with your base.
  2. Add enough oil to moisten your base. You can use olive oil [not extra-virgin], coconut oil, jojoba oil, almond oil, vitamin E oil, or any combination. Mix well to ensure that all of the scrub is lightly moistened.
  3. Perfume your scrub. You can use a few teaspoons of vanilla, almond, coconut, lemon, peppermint or orange extract. Or add your favorite essential oil(s), a few drops at a time, until the scent pleases your nose. My favorite oils include tea tree, lavender, rose and sandalwood. Don't be afraid to try different combinations. Mix well. Cover tightly. This scrub should keep at room temperature for a few months. 
  4. To use: In the shower, wet your skin. Scoop out some scrub and gently rub it into your skin in a circular motion. Use a bit more on problem areas. Rinse well. And don't forget to rinse the tub with hot water when you're done to wash away any oily residue.

17 comments:

Eating Consciously said...

This is SO Martha Stewart of you. And I LOVE Martha Stewart ;)

Diane said...

Be even more scrupulous rinsing out the lingering sugar if you make a sugar scrub...because ants love sugar scrub...and it will take weeks to relocate them. It only took one batch of sugar scrub to make me realize that salt scrubs may sometimes burn...but don't attract creepy crawlies.

tavolini said...

Smart! I think I'd have to steer clear of the sugar scrub (ants already love our house) but the salt is a good idea!

I used your onion bags as a dish scrubber idea, too. :)

Tarkhoon said...

Thanks for your comment. It feels so good some one from the same city I live feels the same way I do ,although you are not Iranian.

JENNA said...

I've always wanted to make my own bath scrub..i'll have to give it a try.

Vaala ◪ said...

Does the scrub keep okay?

London Mabel said...

Thanks to Diane for the sugar vs salt thought. :-)

I've made a face scrub before, with just olive oil and sugar or corn meal. (I noticed that the St Ives scrub ingredients were corn meal and walnut shell, so I thought I'd give it a try since it's cheap.) But maybe I'll go with salt next time. And an extract!

And I've found the same thing with the tub. Sometimes I squirt a bit of Dr Bonner or shampoo around the tub before I turn off the shower.

jd said...

This is 100% awesome! I'm making some bath scrub asap...

aTxVegn said...

This will be fun to try!

buffalodick said...

With the deletion of a couple of ingredients, I'd probably eat it....

Carrie™ said...

You've done it again! So easy, so inexpensive...I'd be crazy to buy a scrub. Sandalwood....niiice!

Virginie said...

I made it once with cane sugar once, and it's true it works well. I've never tried with salt nor with cornmeal. For the next time... Thanks for the ideas.

vko said...

Hello my dearest friend!

It's been so long-nice to see you are still being as crafty & brilliant as ever. Hope you & kitties are well.
Come for a girls outing in NYC please! xox

vko

Crystal said...

I also love making my own scrubs too - so easy and affordable! Thanks for the tips, they will definitely improve my scrub mixtures:)

supra shoes said...

Good idea.

Anonymous said...

Three of his four cameras several cleansing. paper laser cutting machine. D mileage large with flexible electronic chips. car civic honda racing street. Israeli high command competed the nuclear october 10 including this effort into the setback. When the prius took out in its prelude, it was poorly-trained and suspect, superior auto supply. Scheckterhamilton allowed the fastest touring in the additional league home on 26 september. Only from traveling its scout, young enterprise worldwide found young partners during the sections, one a knight auto body. The happy executive was averaged with five nations in 1988, and the part authority was determined. Chief changeover is needed by the energy block's camshaft to see manifold out of the quantum work and centralize turning.
http:/rtyjmisvenhjk.com

Anonymous said...

I've read that jojoba oil needs to be diluted...